Saturday, August 23, 2014

Gramp's Surprise Birthday Party

Today we celebrated Gramp's surprise birthday party in a private room of an Irish pub in Hamilton. He will turn ninety this Friday. I had the privilege of organizing the party, making the decorations and desserts and it was SO much fun. I think I just found a new hobby!

The colors were black, white and gold. The table runners were black and white wrapping paper! The centerpieces were broken tree branches sprayed painted gold with old pictures hanging. It was a lot of fun going through old photo albums. I also spray painted little plastic airplanes to commemorate Gramp's years as a pilot during WWII.

Gramp's favorite cake: cherry pie! I've never made cherry pie before in my life! I got a couple of good books from the library and got familiar with the recipe. Tart cherries are out of season already, so I had to stick with frozen cherries (from Michigan, of course!). The pie came out really good and beautiful!

I also made cupcakes and chocolate dipped strawberries. Emma helped me with the strawberries and she did an amazing job!

Overall, we all had a great time. Gramp was trully surprised and he really enjoyed his party.

No comments: