Sunday, July 11, 2010

Bottling the Beer

After two weeks of fermentation, the beer is ready for bottling! The airlock below stopped bubbling; this is an indicator that fermentation has been completed.

Everything has to be properly sanitized before bottling the beer. Cameron cleaned every kitchen surface with bleach and made sure all of the bottles were ready.

My first impression of the beer was not very pleasant. It has a lot of yeast residue but we are able to avoid bottling it by using some hoses. The picture below shows a hydrometer. The hydrometer tests for specific gravity and it confirms that fermentation is completed. It also calculates alcohol content by comparing first and last reading.



I tried helping Cameron with the bottling but I everytime I was going to help him, Emma demanded my attention.


I was only able to help Cameron put the caps on.
We now have to wait TWO more weeks for carbonation.

No comments: