Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My dream comes true

When I was a freshman in college, I first came across a picture of the Neuschwanstein Castle. I had no information about this castle and later I found out that it was in Germany. I was marveled by the castle and I could only dream that one day I would visit this wonderful place. My dream came true last month and I never thought I would share the experience with my dear husband. The weather was perfect!

Neuschwanstein was the home of King Ludwig II of Bavaria. It took over 17 years for the castle to be completed and unfortunately the king only lived there less than six months before his unexplained death. The castle is amazing but unfortunately we were not allowed to take pictures of the inside. This castle served as the inspiration for Disney’s Sleeping Beauty Castle.




At the main gate:
Hohenschwangau Castle
Hohenschwangau is very close to Neuschwanstein (within walking distance). This was the childhood residence of King Ludwig II and then later became the hunting residence of the royal family. They still display various hunting trophies along the spiral staircase of the castle. This castle is smaller but all of the rooms have outstanding murals that tell part of the Bavarian history.


The Bavarian Seal:

View from the castle's courtyard:



The castle's kitchen:



No comments: